How do you handle a struggle? Do you get discouraged and feel as though God is not helping your situation? Maybe you recount stories from older christians how God miraculously worked on their behalf as inspiration for your situation. Maybe you trust God however, the circumstance seems to get worse causing your enemies to make fun of what you are going through. If you have ever endured a difficult experience you can relate to the author of Psalms 44.
When you are enduring a challenging time try to use the scriptures of Psalms 44 as a guide:
1. Remember the Blessings of God- During a struggle it is important to remember that God works miracles. Recall stories from older christians or your parents how God has blessed their lives. Perhaps you have heard stories how they received a check in the mail for the exact amount of money that they needed, or gas was given to them when their tank was empty. If God can do it for them he will do it for you!"We have heard with our ear, O God, our fathers have told us, what work thou didst in their days, in the times of old. How thou didst drive out the heathen with thy hand, and plantedst them; how thou didst afflict the people, and cast them out. For they got not the land in possession by their own sword, neither did their own arm save them; but thy right hand, and thine arm, and the light of thy countenance, because thou hadst a favour unto them." Psalms 44:1-3
2. Trust in God- Many times during a struggle we may try to rely on ourselves or handle situations on our own. It is important to let God save us.
" Thou art my King, O God... through thee will we push down our enemies: through thy name will we tread them under that rise up against us. For I will not trust in my bow, neither shall my sword save me. But thou hast saved us from our enemies, and has put them to shame that hated us."Psalms 44:4-6
3. Despite all Opposition Never Turn Back From God- No matter how the situation looks keep your focus on God. You may have enemies laughing at your situation or it may seem like the crisis is continuing to get worse during these times remember never to turn away from God.
"But thou hast cast off, and put us to shame; and goest not forth with our armies. Thou makest us a reproach to our neighbors, a scorn and a derision to them that are round about us. All this is come upon us; yet have we not forgotten thee, neither have we dealt falsely in thy covenant. Our heart is not turned back, neither have our steps declined from thy way;"Psalms 44:8, 13, 17
4. It is Okay to be Confused About the Situation- When we go through negative situations we may not understand why we are there. The situation may become frustrating and even cause us shame. It is okay to be confused about the circumstance. We do not have to understand the situation God is taking care of it.
"My confusion is continually before me, and the shame of my face hath covered me,"Psalms 44:15
5. Continue to Ask God for Help Even if You Feel He is Far Off- During times of struggle it is easy to think that God is not listening to us because positive change has not occurred. When we feel like this it is important to continue to ask God for his help.
"Wherefore hidest thou thy face, and forgettest our affliction and our oppression? Arise for our help, and redeem us for thy mercies' sake"Psalms 44:23 &26