Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Weekly Devotional: Different Levels of Trust!!!!



The song Oceans has been on my mind and heart since Friday night. Some words to one of my favorite parts of the song: "Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders. Let me walk upon the waters where ever you would lead me. Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander and my faith would be made stronger in the present of my Savior."


This part stays with me. This song really speaks to how strong is your faith. To me, there are different levels of trust. There's "I don't trust You God.", "I trust you for my life inside the church BUILDING but not in my life.", "I trust You to take care of me, but not to take me out of my comfort zone." and then "Whatever You say or want me to do, I trust You and will do it!!". And I will say that currently I am not at the Whatever You say or want me to do, I trust You and will do it. Because there are some that I allow reason or justifications to step in and take over. For example, not waking up because I am tired and I need all of my sleep even though the joy of the Lord is my strength. Or there could be different things that I don't even know about. But, I am working on myself to get to the point where I just say "Send me, I'll go!!" 

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6. Basically, we just need to trust God with all of our heart. Not trust God when it does us good. Not just when we can stay content in our zone. Not just when we want to not reach out and walk by faith. But, we are supposed to trust God with ALL of our hearts. We are not supposed to trust our own understanding. We are not to try and rationalize a way out of what God wants us to do. If we give God the praise and glory He is worthy of, then He will take care of us. He will direct our paths. He will lead and be with us wherever we go. "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way." Psalm 37:23. At bible study tonight with Bro Doug, he even mentioned that God has mapped out our lives to every detail and all He is wanting us to do is do our part and trust Him.
Trusting Him can be go talk to someone about Jesus on our job. Or it can be inviting someone to church. It may be getting up in the very early morning and pray for someone that God places on your heart. It can be anything. But, God just wants us to do our part so He can keep preparing us for our destiny. During our YARCs service on Sunday, Ja-Reef Williams message was about Blind obedience versus flesh filled sacrifice. If you go back to Cain and Abel, you will see the difference between the two. Cain gave a sacrifice that he thought would be honorable in God's sight but not something that was true and from the heart. On the other hand, Abel gave God a sacrifice from the heart. Or if you look at other biblical figures, you will see how God honors obedience and true sacrifice versus giving something that we think should be done.

This goes the same with our trusting God. God wants us to really trust God and not lean unto our own understanding. Sometimes we are like Peter and so eager to do something God wants but one thing distracts us from God and we go backwards.
"And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid. And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" 
Matthew 14:25-31

I think this is very important. The disciples are on the boat and then they come to the realization that it is Jesus and not a ghost walking on water. Peter is excited and wants to walk out by faith. As he is walking, he got distracted by something as little as the wind and started to sink. He took his eyes off of Jesus and started to sink. When he realized that he was sinking, he cried upon the person who he got distracted from. And Jesus said why did you start doubting?
Sometimes we're walking this walk of faith and we even get out of the boat that may contain our past, insecurities, comfort levels, or whatever and we move on to meet Jesus on the water. However, winds start to blow and life starts to get rough. Instead of trusting, we start to doubt and lose focus. Then, when we realize we can't help ourselves, we cry out unto God. And He is looking at us like we're stupid because if we would have kept trusting Him and kept our eyes on Him, we would be walking. So, after that, we decide to go back into our boat where we think we are safe. We go back into this boat where our insecurities and comfort levels can defend us and we can rationalize or justify why we are acting a certain way. When we get the opportunity to step out by faith and do something that God is calling us to, we stay in the boat and don't exercise our faith. This shows God that we really don't trust Him. 

But sometimes we just have to get to the point where we are asking God to take the borders off of our trust levels. We have to ask God to remove the barriers blocking us from stepping out by faith. There are some great things that God has planned for all of us. But if we are content with where we are, then God is not going to allow us to grow and reach our destiny. We have to trust God and let Him lead us on our walk. If we don't allow God to lead us and be our help, then what are we praying to God for? Why do we say that He is our Savior if we can't trust Him? If we thank God and praise Him because of what He did on the cross, why can't we pay a small price and trust God to get us where we need to be? So
my question what is your level of trust with God? Do you really trust God or nah? 

It's okay if your trust level is not at the top because that is why we build our relationships and let that trust level build. 

My Prayer:
Dear God,
Thank You for seeing as one of Your own and thank You for the potential that You have placed within me. Help me Lord to trust You more and depend on You. God, I want You to guide my footsteps and be my light. Help me to walk on the waters and go where I have never thought to be. Help me Lord to not judge a certain situation by what I see but by how You see. God, please remind me of Your promises daily and show me Your love everyday. Help me Lord to be a light to someone else and show them Your love. Thank You for Your love and forgiveness.
In Jesus Name,
Amen!!

Be blessed!!
~ Steven Gable
"Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12 (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment