Monday, August 18, 2014

Weekly Devotional: Can You Hear Him?? Shhhh




Continuing on last Monday’s blog, I want to speak on Listening to God.

I had a dream where I was amongst a population of people. It was completely silent. I was standing amongst these people intently listening and waiting for God to speak. After, what seemed like a moment, I began to panic screaming “I am deaf!!” I could not hear anything or anyone around me. And it seemed despite being amongst a population, I was all by myself. I awoke from this dream confused, and it wasn’t until I attended a bible study months later that I understood it.

It is hard to hear God amongst the noise. What is noise? Noise are sounds that cause disturbance and can cause you to lose focus. As in the dream, I began focusing on hearing God and then I became disturbed. I was disturbed because I could not hear the environment. I could not hear people, cars and other noises. God's voice in the beginning of this dream was the priority, but then shifted. But what we have to understand is when you are listening for God, we have to silence the noises. Noises can be worries and as the last Monday blogger stated “God can speak through people, situations or you directly”. There have been times, God has spoken to me, but the noises of doubt, situations and people drowned out God's guidance. Other times I could not recognize God's guidance because I spent no time familiarizing myself with him. As Sunday's guest speaker put it, my priority was lost, as God was not number one focus.

Sometimes to better hear God, we must fast, which is simply a process of silencing the noise. Fasting makes God a priority as the sacrifice of a fast helps place God more at a premium. Listening to God is done by reading his word and mediating on it. When a scripture touches you, put it to memory, think on how to apply it. 

Deuteronomy 4:29
But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul.





No comments:

Post a Comment