Monday, June 30, 2014

Weekly Devotional: Why Listen to God?


Why Listen to God?
Why Listen to God?
If you have a relationship with God, your answer to this question should encourage you.

Psalms 77:11-12
11 I will remember the works of the Lord.
Yes, I will remember the amazing things you did long ago!
12 I will think about all you have done;
I will reflect upon your deeds!”

It is amazing how I am back at school. To any friend of mine whom reads this never let me forget how I returned. I give you permission to slap me on my back or arm and say “Remember God brought you here!!”

Return to Montclair State University
2012, I desired total change in my life, but didn’t know where to start. My car broke down and I began to save for a car. Saving slowly I cried to God whom spoke regarding my car “It will not be by my hand”. I received this word and walked a whole year then believing God would provide a car by a miracle.
At the end of the year, I got my car but it wasn’t miraculous or how I envisioned it. I became angry because God’s word seemed to fail. I asked God after getting home from the dealership about this word and he gave me understanding.

When praying asking for understanding, God reminded about the book I read the day before I went to the dealership. Through a book God exposed that I was weak and had no fight in life. Then suddenly I understood these flaws in me, as they were on display at the dealership. Also, reflecting on 2012 I realized all year I wanted God to change everything while I watched. God’s words, “It will not be by my hand” was a response to my prayer for a miracle of transportation. God was not going to do everything for me; it was time for me to grow. This understanding and realization of me was disheartening. Puncturing me to the soul. But God began to heal and transform me.

Then in the start of 2013, God gave me a dream that sparked a desire to return to school. Fears stood in my way, so God spoke to me “My presence shall go with thee and I will give you rest”. Yet fear still grasped, and God gave me another dream showing the impact fear had on my life. I then immediately from the dream awoke and began to fight in life. So, I made some calls to advisors and loan departments. I didn’t know what I was doing, but I no longer wanted to be fearful. A month later those random calls paved my way to community college.

At that college, according to my advisor, I had to prove I was ready to return to my former school. After, completing a semester, the same advisor told me I didn’t need to attend community. Right before I was going to say some choice/angry words God reminded me of the many frustrated nights. There were so many nights; I thanked God I went to community first, to dust off my skills. So I forgave the advisor understanding God was the orchestrator of it all. 

It was God that prepped me all along for my return to school in 2013. He knew to be successful, he had to move emotional, as well as financial hurdles. When I foundd myself in stressful situations I encouraged myself with God’s word, “My presence shall go with thee and I will give you rest”. This word was a life saver to me this past year, as I would sleep a half hour on the parkway before awaking to finish the drive to class. God’s word, silenced my worries allowing me to rest and have confidence in my ability to handle it all. I short changed God in this summary, but I hope the drift was caught. Had it not been for God,…I don’t even won’t to imagine without God. Through all the pain, all the worry, all the doubt, all the uncertainty it happened for my good. This is why I listen to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment