Monday, April 21, 2014

WEEKLY DEVOTIONAL: Piece(s) Be Still

A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth. 
(Isaiah 42:3)

Have you ever felt broken? Like incomplete? A little lost? Helpless? Defeated?  If you have just know that you’re never alone. I’m not sure why we (I say we because I too have often felt this way) get like that but I've come to realize it's because the devil sees what lies ahead for us. It has to be great right, because why else would the devil attack us so hard?

I thought I felt broken when my father passed. There are times where I feel a little empty inside or even a little lost. I felt (maybe I still feel this way) that when he left I felt so vulnerable to the world. I felt like my protector had just up and left me. I felt exposed, and there was nothing that could change that because he was no longer here. However, once I realized how many blessings came from my father's life (I am blessed to be a part of something so great) I realized that I am not as "broken" as I once believed I was.

This past week I was watching Mary Mary on their reality television show and one of the singers, Tina, kept exclaiming how “broken” she was after her husband had cheated on her countless times. As I watched the show I sympathized with her in the beginning until she kept hollering “broken.”  After awhile I was just like okay enough is enough!  In my opinion she had too much to live for to become defeated by “brokenness.”  She had an adorable clan of children, she has an amazing fan base, she has nieces and nephews, and family, and so on.  I was just lost as to how "broken" she could have possibly been especially since her life seems pretty good.  But then I had to think to myself, “Who am I???” Matter of fact who did I think I was to even comment or have an opinion on her “brokenness???”  I had to internally self-check myself because I just knew I had some audacity.  This woman sacrificed for this man and her family and he violated the sanctity of their marriage by committing adultery.  At that moment it made sense to feel “broken" I guess.

The most common form of “brokenness” is having your heart-“broken.”  Have you ever felt that kind of pain?  It hurts, it burns, it stings in the beginning, but it eventually those “broken” pieces heal with time. I remember I thought I had my heart-“broken.”  Someone betrayed my trust and did the exact opposite of what they said they were not going to do.  When the entire situation happened I was shocked, distraught and that sadness eventually turned to bitterness.  We’ve all been there. Well after harboring on the situation and as time passed, I had to realize that that was not heart-break. That was the veil being lifted from over my eyes. I was worried about someone else while I was preparing to go off to build my dreams. The situation makes me chuckle now, but that was not until I realized that I had victory all along. When you think of those characters that have played a part in your “brokenness” you realize that their situations/lives/issues/dilemmas are not roles that you really wish to co-star in.

When you think about someone/something who you claim to have assisted in your “brokenness” remember: (1) “Brokenness” is a mindset; (2) Anything that is for you will not “break” you AND leave; and (3) God doesn’t give you anymore than you can bear 
(1 Corinthians 10:13).

(1) “Brokenness” Is A Mindset
To be “broken” means to have “been fractured or damaged and no longer in one piece or in working order.”  It’s an adjective that we as flawed humans choose to label ourselves as.  We use this label titled “broken” because we have clearly turned away from God’s understanding and leaned on our own when the Bible explicitly warns us against that (Proverbs 3:5).  When we claim to be “broken” are we damaged? Are we fractured? Are we no longer working?  NOPE!!! Most “broken” people have jobs and families who depend on them.  If you’re a mother who claims to be “broken” then I know you’re in working order because children depend 100% on their mother’s especially.  If you’re a teacher claiming to be “broken” then you too have to change your mindset because you are also in working order. If you’re a professional and/or any type of leader I just wanted to let you know that you are NOT “broken” because you’re responsibilities requires you to be in working order.  “Broken” does not fit into that lifestyle – this lifestyle is just about any lifestyle you can think of.

Now on the contrary, we may be BRUISED but we’re not broken.  I say bruised because bruises are less extreme and can occur naturally. 

Some quick facts on bruises:
-Some people bruise easily than others
-Bruises occur when soft tissues are injured under the skin
-Bruises go through colorful stages as the body heals
-Most bruises disappear after a minimum of 2 weeks (most of the time it’s sooner than that)

Would you rather be a “broken” toy or a scratched  (bruised) toy? With “broken” toys you take the risk of never being fixed.  "Broken” toys essentially serve no purpose and once their purpose has been fulfilled they are discarded of.  However, scratched (bruised) toys are toys that we keep around.  We keep them around because they’re flawed but they haven’t lost their purpose.  As long as the scratched (bruised) toy can still make noise, flash its lights, and entertain us, there is no need to discard of that toy because we NEED that toy.


We have to change our mindset from thinking we’re “broken” to acknowledging that we may actually be BRUISED.  We’re BRUISED because we face new challenges everyday and sometimes we get hurt in the process.  We’re BRUISED and not “broken” because we eventually heal with time.  When you think about "broken" bones we are often confronted with the fact that there is a high probability that those bones will never heal properly and/or  they will not be as functional as they previously were.  Bruises on the other hand, do not face those risks because they heal quicker and do not do as much damage and uncertainty. We are BRUISED because we have a healing mindset…once we accept the notion of “brokenness” we have accepted defeat.  I refuse to be labeled “broken” because, “The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.” (Psalms 18:2). Change that mindset and speak victory over your life.

(2) Anything That Is For You Will Not “Break” AND Leave You
Think about that person/situation/circumstance that you felt left you “broken.”  Think really hard!  Now if that person/situation/circumstance is no longer in your life, then they have served their purpose.  Be grateful.  Maybe it was a lesson.  Maybe it was God revealing to you the power of the strength he equipped you with.  Maybe it was God protecting you from something.  Maybe it was God aligning you with your purpose and that person/situation/circumstance no longer had a front row seat.  Regardless, remember that whether you are stubborn in believing that you’re “broken” (even though I just told you that you aren’t!), or you’ve accepted the possibility that you’re BRUISED, that in both situations there is a building process.  There are times when God places us in situations that will cause us to be molded and shaped.  Think about a diamond—diamonds are formed from extreme pressure.  We are those diamonds that have to be susceptible to pressure so that we can shine brightly.  Don’t you want to be molded?  Shaped into who God wants you to become?  Don't you want to shine? Let God mold and shape you.  The Bible tells us, “But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.”  (Isaiah 64:8).  Anything that is “broken” or bruised eventually has to be built back up – bigger and better!  Remember, “God created [us] in his own image.”  (Genesis 1:27).


(3) God Doesn’t Give You More Than You Can Bear
Your situation may seem bleak right now but so did your situation 2 days ago, 2 weeks ago, 2 months ago, and 2 years ago.  It’s always cloudy while you’re going through it but the situation always changes once you’re on your way to your new trial.  Before you become overwhelmed and claim “brokenness” claim victory over your next 2 trials because trust me when I say they’re well on their way.  While you're waiting for your bruises to heal, forgive those who tried or "break" you.  God told the waters to be “peace be still” (Mark 4:39) and so today I challenge you to tell all of those so-called “broken” piece(s) to be still!!!!!

These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world. – John 3:16

Prayer:
Dear God,
We thank you for dying on that cross for our sins.  We thank you wholeheartedly for the ultimate sacrifice that you have given us that no man can match.  Lord we humbly come before you to ask for restoration of hearts, minds, attitudes, peace, hope, love, grace, and mercy.  Lord we ask that you continue to be that glue to mend “brokenness” in our walks with you, in our homes, in our churches, and in our relationships with others.  We ask that you equip us with the mindsets to bow before your feet before we think to solve our problems ourselves.  Lord we come against the spirit of hopelessness, the spirit of despair, the spirit of defeat, the spirit of loneliness, the spirit of depression.  Lord you told us to cast our cares upon you Lord God for the righteous shall not be moved.  Lord we claim victory in your name because we are no longer “broken.”  We may be BRUISED but we serve a God who is the ultimate healer.  Continue to keep us Lord as we go about our days.  In your precious name we pray.  Amen.

William Murphy - "Already Getting Better"

BRUISED BUT NOT "BROKEN" -- JAMERA



No comments:

Post a Comment