Sunday, February 23, 2014

GUEST BLOGGER FOR THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY: Trusting God In Every Situation

Thank you for allowing me to be the one of the guest bloggers for the month of February. This opportunity could not have come at a better time, and I thank my friend Jamera for that.

When I received the e-mail I had decided to write about my journey with God and how I have allowed other things in my life, like law school, to get in His way and His time. Today I had a rude awakening and a confirmation of one of my fears. Early this morning, I received a call from my mother, telling me that my grandmother had a stroke. I immediately ran to her house and started making arrangements to have my mother travel to Colombia to be by my grandmother’s side. Although I thought I was “too busy” I also decided to go to church because I needed to hear His word. To my surprise, God had a direct message for me. The service was about God and His power during our moments of adversity. Yes, it is true that we forget about Him until we need him because we know he is always there, however yesterday was a brutal reminder of how much I needed Him. Moments like these (concerning the health of my grandmother), and other moments of adversity test our faith and remind us of our weaknesses. Only God knows how much we can handle and how much it would take for us to get on the right path again. We have to remember that, every good and bad situation has a purpose, and He knows what that purpose is.

1 Corinthians 10:13 states, "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." I believe God is reminding me of his love and also testing my faith. This test to my faith was necessary for me to look back and see how blessed I am and to let God do what he does best and bring me through it. Like my friend Jamera told me yesterday, I can’t worry and pray at the same time because it defeats the purpose of having faith. Instead of worrying, I need to look at each situation and see what God has in it for me or what he is trying to show me. I need to remember what James 1:2-3 states about trials and temptations. It states, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance."

I also have to keep in mind that I cannot be afraid and I have to let Him do his work in my heart and trust him with my grandmother’s life. That phone call has definitely tested my heart and my faith. I know that when this trial is over and God brings me through, "In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy. (1 Peter 1:6-8).

I know that just as many of you know when we have trials and tests of our faith, that God is taking me from the bad to the good and from the good to the EXCELLENT! We have to claim these things and starting today I'm claiming the EXCELLENT! He has a purpose in my life (he has a purpose in yours),  but I think we all forget about this when we are so caught up in the good times. It is in these moments of adversity that we run to him because we are afraid. I am blessed to have God in my life and for the message I received at church. I was sad and worried but I understood that I have to rest in my faith and know that everything works together for the good of God to those who love him.

I hope that if you are going to rough times, you know that God is with you and he is the only one who will never let you down. Don’t be afraid, don’t hide… just look for him. He is there, he has never left, and he will never ever leave your side. Find strength and patience in Him. "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10) So as you pray to God to help you through your adversity, please pray for my family -- specifically my grandmother. The bible says that, "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them." (Matthew 18:20). Thank you and God Bless!


GUEST BLOGGER FOR THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY: LEIDY

1 comment:

  1. Awesome and encouraging to blog through adversity...displays your trust in God...thank you

    ReplyDelete