Sunday, January 19, 2014

WEEKLY DEVOTIONAL: Love Everyone


“This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt mediate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.”  Joshua 1:8
 

This is my 1st post for 2014 and I have a confession. I did NOT read the entire bible last year. I read a good portion more than I ever read before, but I did not finish the entire bible. To my fellow bloggers I am sorry for not holding up my commitment. Starting this blog in 2014 I was slightly disheartened because I had not made it through the entire bible last year. However, God revealed to me that it was okay. In fact he actually showed me a way to read his word and learn from it. By picking a theme, reading verses related to that topic, and meditating on those scriptures throughout the day.  This way of reading the bible allows us to focus on the meaning of the scriptures rather than trying to read through long portions without understanding . I encourage everyone reading to try this simple method of bible reading this year. Choose a topic each day find scriptures related to those topics, mediate and apply those scriptures to your life.

For me this week the topic is LOVE. As you may have read I got engaged last year to fellow blogger Ron and we have begun the interesting journey of pre martial counselling. This week’s counselling required us to read 19 scriptures related to love and write the meaning of those scriptures among numerous tasks. These scriptures related to God’s love and how God wants us to love one another.  I had previously read the scriptures but never took the time to look at the meaning behind the scriptures. This assignment forced me to look at the meaning and what I discovered was mind blowing. God requires us to LOVE EVERYONE. I know we say this, but to actually do it is something else. Think about it if someone were to attack one of your family members would you love your families’ attacker? When someone does something wrong to you do you love that person? God commands us to LOVE everyone no matter who they are or what they have done. Below are a few of the scriptures that I read this week.  

John 13:34 A new commandment I give to you, That ye have love one to another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Luke 6:27-36 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

28. Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

29. And unto them that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.

31. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

Luke 10 tells the story of the good Samaritan who helps a stranger who was robbed , beaten and left for dead. The Good Samaritan not only takes care of the injured man but he makes sure the man’s needs are taken care of for a long time. If you saw someone hurt would you pay for all of their hospital bills, put them in a hotel and pay for him to be taken care of? This story shows that loving people is not always convenient.  Sometimes love requires us to go completely out of our way to take care of someone you do not know.


Reading the scriptures about God’s love left a lasting impression on me. All week long I have been reminding myself to love those around me. When someone makes me mad at work do I still love this person or do I let my attitude get the best of me? I encourage you all to keep God’s perspective of Love in your life. 
 
 
Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment