Sunday, January 26, 2014

SUNDAY GUEST BLOGGER: Leaning on God


                                                                    Leaning on God
“Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thin own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” - Proverbs 3:5-6
Many of people know this proverbs verse by heart, or have heard some version of it before. Fittingly, I have held onto these words at various stages in my life and walk with God. Coincidently, seeing that I used the same proverbs reference as my High School Senior yearbook quote, it makes sense that it is one of the first verses to come to the forefront of my mind even today.


Going through the different situations that we often face in our lives, it is sometimes difficult to stay focused on God and not fall into the temptation of “lean(ing) unto our own understanding”.

Personally, I have struggled in the past whenever it came to truly forsaking “my understanding”, my own desires and wishes. Instead, I would find myself in situations and certain circumstances that could have easily been avoided had I followed God’s straight and paved road, instead of my own faulty and makeshift path.

I was not acknowledging God as the keeper of my soul and allowing him to work, lead or direct my life. As a result, many doors were closed due to my disobedience. There were periods when I was frustrated with my profession and I found myself unable to pray to God for deliverance or guidance. Frustration would soon morph into moments of depression, and anger. I became an unapproachable, bitter individual who was difficult to speak to and rejected the help that was often an arms reach away.

Doing things my own way only hindered me from growing as an individual and in turn caused me to be ostracized from the people who loved and cared about me. And yet, although it was not deserved, I always had people who stood in the gap on my behalf, who interceded and prayed for me continually and without ceasing.
It took me years to learn that in order to advance or overcome any obstacle, that it was imperative that I learn humility. In order for me to grow, I needed to seek after and accept guidance. Once I changed my mind’s orientation and attitude, and adopted a more humble persona, I literally positioned myself to be blessed. My job and living situation changed for the better. I became a more positive and optimistic person, and it even showed in my outward countenance.  

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXn6-hKhXOc Fred Hammond-Your Steps are Ordered
“The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighted in his way.  Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand.” -
Proverbs 37:23-24

Regardless of my disobedience, God still continued to keep me. It amazes me to think of how undeserving we all are of grace and second chances, and yet they are freely given by our heavenly father. Independent of my attitude or unwillingness to trust in God totally, he still had my back.  I found myself realizing that a total change was necessary and I submitted myself to God’s will and way. I desired for my faith to be rekindled and my life to be purposeful.

“[b]ut whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” - John 4:14

When I think of God’s grace and unwavering love, I can’t help but smile. Thinking back to where I’ve been and where I am now, it is evident that God’s path for my life is golden. To him I owe him my all.
 “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.” - Ephesian 2:8-10


GUEST BLOGGER MATTHEW JOHNSON

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Matt!! This is awesome!! Definitely something I can take from this.

    ReplyDelete