Friday, November 1, 2013

Friday Fellowship:How do you have Confidence in Uncertainty?


How do you have confidence in uncertainty?

In the book of Isaiah King Hezekiah and his city were being threatened by the King of Assyria. The odds were clearly against Hezekiah, as the King of Assyria had already been conquering various Kings.  Yet Hezekiah had confidence in this dismal situation where survival is uncertain and unlikely.

Isaiah 36:4-5
And Rabshakeh said unto them, Say ye now to Hezekiah, Thus saith the great king, the king of Assyria, What confidence is this wherein thou trustest?
I say, sayest thou, (but they are but vain words) I have counsel and strength for war: now on whom dost thou trust, that thou rebellest against me?

Hezekiah’s confidence came as he sought God and the words of God were his confidence .God gives his people a word concerning their situation and it’s designed to give them confidence in uncertainty. In this situation God told Hezekiah to not be afraid as the King of Assyria would return to his land and die in his own land. However, the King of Assyria sent another message to Hezekiah soon after.
Isaiah 37:12
12 Have the gods of the nations delivered them which my fathers have destroyed, as Gozan, and Haran, and Rezeph, and the children of Eden which were in Telassar?

After, this message Hezekiah went to his source of confidence again. He sought the Lord and God’s words encouraged him again. This story ends with the King of Assyria dying in his land and Hezekiah’s kingdom dwelling in safety as God said.

We have to understand that our faith cannot grow or exist without God. Meaning God must answer our prayers, he must show up, or else how would we have faith? Bible says God is the author and finisher of our faith. He prepares scenarios for us to display to us, we can trust him. Our confidence comes as we trust his words.

In 2012 I had an indelible trial, and the words God gave me were: Romans 8:18 “For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”
 I had this on my phone home page and constantly repeated it to myself in times of distress. God’s words gave me confidence and strength that not only was I going to make it through, but believed God would do something great for me. Plenty of times I tossed in the towel, but God picked me up and echoed the same WORDS to me again. Our God is a God of mercy and grace.

Looking back at 2012, God’s words were true. If I had the power to change certain parts of my life, 2012 certainly would be a year that I would not change despite the suffering. It was needed as God took me off a path in life, that I didn’t want to be on, and I was ignorant and fearful to help myself. Thankfully, there is a God of mercy, a God of grace, a God of peace whose love is so lofty that he will afflict his people to lead them to peace, joy and prosperity.

Numbers 23:19
19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?
Isaiah 55:11
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
Luke 11:28
28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

No comments:

Post a Comment