Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Warrior Wednesdays: Loving God’s Law


 

In our society many people resent laws that have been set in place. We use phrases such as “rules were meant to be broken” to justify not following rules. We break laws constantly from rules set in our house such as a curfew when we are teenagers to driving over the speed limit (I have broken both of those rules). Many times we feel as though laws were meant to hold us back and do not realize that the rules are set in place to protect us. God has set rules over our lives which we must obey the Ten Commandments are an example of those rules.  Yet many of us have broken at least one of the Ten Commandments or find it hard to keep these commandments. The author of Psalms 119 describes loving the laws of God.

The author talks about keeping the laws and yet walking at liberty. “So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever. And I will walk at liberty.” The idea that following God’s law will give us freedom is contrary to many beliefs. Many believe that laws keep us bound but as the psalmist declares following God’s laws gives us freedom. This freedom allows us to be who God has called us to be.

When I was a teenager I would often break the curfew that was set in my house. I thought my 12:00am curfew was too strict since most of my friends had later curfews or no curfews at all however, I realized that the biggest reason my mom set the curfew at the time was for my protection. According to Forbes and my mother the highest numbers of automobile fatalities occur between midnight and 4am.  Therefore, it was in my best interest to be home by midnight.

Similarly, to my curfew God has created laws to protect us. For many people these laws seem strict and unfair perhaps because they go against our social norms. Society tells us it is acceptable even celebrates actions that go directly against laws that God has set in place. For example, fornication, in our society is promoted, encouraged, and celebrated. Sex before marriage, can be seen in every form of media and is portrayed as the only way to live one’s life. God, however commands that we do not fornicate which is for our own good. If we stopped for a moment to think about all of the problems that could be avoided if this commandment was followed. The spread of sexually transmitted diseases would not be so great if people had sex with one person their entire life as God commands. God’s laws were not made to limit us, but to protect us and give us a limitless future. Like the author of Psalms 119 learn to love God’s laws.  

Stay Blessed and Continue Warring for Christ!

Warrior Wednesday: Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment