Tuesday, July 16, 2013

TRANSFORMING TUESDAY: Justice Is Yours, But Vengeance Is The Lord's


I know most of you have heard about the news of the Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman case. For most, the jury verdict has been pretty upsetting which has been evident by the worldwide protests. I for one prayed for justice throughout the entire case, not because of the color of Trayvon's skin, but because of the facts of the case. Since hearing the verdict I have come to terms with the reality of this world. This world is full of humans who have fallen short of the glory of God, there are some who are corrupt, evil and wrongdoers, and then there are some who keep God in their hearts. Unfortunately, the justice system failed one party who is no longer here today...may his soul rest in peace. With that being said, let's talk about the justice system.

Society set up this whole system of justice although many criticize that it does the opposite of what it was established to do. The idea is that you are innocent until proven guilty where a prosecuting party sets forth all of this evidence to prove an opposing party's guilt. Coincidently, this is all before individual(s) who assesses the evidence brought forth and makes a decision. The fate of any defendant is in the hands of a judge or jury. Although my analysis may focus on the legal field, it is not limited to just that. We engage in this "justice system" behavior in everything that we do. When we don't like someone for whatever reason, we try to get other people not to like them. Based on the way that we persuade that individual can cause that person that you don't like to either lose a friend or gain an unnecessary enemy. We all engage in judgmental behavior. I'm not saying it's okay, but what I am saying is that we have to ask God of forgiveness when we do.

What happens when we take that judgmental behavior further than just forming our own opinions? We can sometimes form these superior attitudes towards others, which is exactly what God warns us NOT to do. Corinthians Chapter 4:7 states, "For what gives you the right to make such a judgment? What do you have that God hasn’t given you? And if everything you have is from God, why boast as though it were not a gift?" Sometimes we can become so consumed in our own thinking that we forget so quick who's really in charge. It isn't you or I; it isn't the President; it isn't the wealthiest man in America; and it isn't even the pastor. GOD IS ALWAYS AND FOREVER IN CHARGE! He decides our fate: eternal life or eternal damnation. 1 Corinthians 4:5 states, "So don’t make judgments about anyone ahead of time—before the Lord returns. For he will bring our darkest secrets to light and will reveal our private motives. Then God will give to each one whatever praise is due." The Bible warns us not to judge because even when we think we're right, we can be wrong. God will reveal everything in due time regardless of any of the evidence against you...because what's done in the dark will come to light.

Today's reading specifically speaks to my situation and I because it confirms everything that I already talked to God about. I remember as a little girl I always wanted to be an attorney. Growing up I saw so many injustices and if you didn't know the law, then essentially there was nothing you could do to protect yourself. I just wanted to put an end to all of that. Well I remember some time later while participating in this legal program, in walked this judge. He was extremely young and he looked so much like me; it was like I could see myself in his shoes. Well as I sat there being taught the lecture I thought to myself: "Jamera you can definitely do his job. You should just go one step further than an attorney and just be a judge. He looks like you. You should just change the stereotype of judges." Well that thought never left me even now. I remember after successful completion of the program I was talking to my uncle about what I was thinking. The thought would keep me up and night and it was like I had to hurry up and get it out. In my mind I battled with the thought of being a judge and upholding justice, but then I felt like I would be overstepping boundaries and trying to be God because of the power associated with being a judge. Once I talked to my uncle and of course prayed about it, I soon learned that God does place his people/children in high places. For me that high place will be as a judge and more importantly, I will not be stepping on God's toes. I know this because he lives in my heart, in all ways I acknowledge him, I keep him first, and I obey his word. For any of us dreaming of high places but fear the possibility of stepping into an arena where you feel you have too much power: it's not too much power until you step away from what God wants you to do and start to do what you desire to do. Once you make that disconnect and make life about you is when the problem arises.

God is the ultimate judge. What happens when something doesn't work out in your favor? When this happens, it is not a time to doubt or waver in your trust in God. This is a time to strengthen your trust in the Lord knowing that he will supply all of your needs. Because God is the ultimate judge (higher than ALL of us), we have to realize that in the end of every situation, it will all work out for the good. Things are not always as though they seem. We have to stop looking at things through our carnal eye and dig deeper into the realm of our spiritual eyes. God does not treat us as our sins deserve and he is a forgiving God. We should all rest easy knowing that God has a perfect track record. He has yet to fail despite how things may look. In 1 Kings chapter 17, God made it so that the widow's oil jar and flour jar never went empty as long as she remained faithful. Keep your faith knowing that God is the ultimate judge and he will handle your situation accordingly. Although justice may be yours, vengeance is the Lord's. His court is the only one that matters. In the meantime: 
  • pray
  • forgive 
  • love
  • let go 
  • cast your cares upon the Lord
  • move on...
NOTHING IS TOO HARD FOR GOD


IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO TRANSFORM YOUR TUESDAYS!!!
Transforming Tuesday: Jamera

No comments:

Post a Comment