Tuesday, July 23, 2013

TRANSFORMING TUESDAY: The Bible Is Our Security Blanket


Have you ever needed something to bring with you everywhere you went? Think back to being a child, did you ever carry a blanket? If you did, then you know at the time the blanket was a security blanket. For me I never did that as a child, but I'm sure I found security in other objects. My aunts and older sisters told me I was a crybaby (I don't even believe them -___- ), so I always wanted to be up under my mom. Although I don't even remember that, I do remember carrying a Pocahontas jumbo-sized doll with me everywhere that I went. My mother brought me that doll when she was living in Florida and I was living with my father. That doll was my security and she stayed right by my side. I still have that doll at my father's house :)

That doll couldn't protect me from the monsters under my bed. That doll couldn't protect me from the real evils of this world. So why was it so special/important to me? Why did it serve as my security blanket? It was because it served as sentimental value - my mom who wasn't there at the time was there with me through the form of a doll. What if instead of a plastic jumbo-sized doll, I had a real security blanket? What if when I was afraid of the monsters under my bed, or the real evils of the world, I used the Bible (The Word of God) as my real security blanket? 


SERVING ONE MASTER:
Having the Bible/Word of God as a security blanket establishes that you only serve ONE master. God is not a god that shares a spotlight with someone else. There is only ONE him. We saw last week how God was the only God to set water on fire. We also saw how the people prayed to Baal allllllll day, cried out, and even cut themselves for him to show that he was real. What happened? Nothing happened!!! There is only ONE God who calls the sun and moon to rise and set. There is only ONE God who gives both you and I purpose. There is only ONE God who knows the beginning from the ending. He is the alpha and the omega. He doesn't take days off. So when there a times when we are afraid of the monsters under our beds and the evils of the world, he'll be there 24/7. The Bible states, "21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils." (1 Corinthians 10:21 KJV). This means that when it comes to having the Word of God in our hearts and with us at all times, we can't straddle the fence. Either we're in or we're not. When it comes to God there is no "maybe," he wants our WHOLE hearts. We are still given that power of choice to decide who we want to serve: God or the world/satan. It's not complicated.


KNOWING WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS:
Today's reading focused on the power of the Word of God. 1 Corinthians 10, speaks directly to knowing the power of God. I know that there is a phenomenon going on revolving around being vegan, vegetarian, or abstaining from eating pork or other types of food. I remember there was a time I questioned whether I could eat certain foods and I almost stopped eating bacon (it was a real struggle!!!). Not to say that anyone who chooses not to eat certain foods are wrong, but for those who eat anything and feel you are wrong, the bible states, "25 Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:26 For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof." (1 Corinthians 10:25-26 KJV). This means that the Lord has created the animals and more on this Earth for our purpose. For the most part everything is free range as long as we PRAY before we consume it. Bless your food before you eat. That's just one example of why it is important to know what the Bible says. Too many times we become so sold on what others say that we reject the notion of looking into the Bible for clarity.


HEARING GOD'S VOICE & DELIVERING THE WORD:
Have you ever been praying at the alter and someone spoke a word to you and it was something similar to what you have been praying about? Or have you ever been praying for something and a stranger or someone you know ever gave you reassurance about the situation although they knew nothing about it? The same thing happened to me Sunday - I was happy on the outside, but on the inside I was worried about something that I have been praying for for about a week now. I was trying not to let it bother me, but I couldn't help it because it's a serious situation. Well I was leaving one part of the church to go to a meeting in another part and this man from my church came up to me and quoted a scripture that basically reassured everything that I was praying about. It was confirmation of not only what was happening at the moment, but what I know is to come. God has a way of using others to get us to a place to trust him. The same thing happened in 2 Kings 3:11-12, "11 But Jehoshaphat said, Is there not here a prophet of the Lord, that we may enquire of the Lord by him? And one of the king of Israel's servants answered and said, Here is Elisha the son of Shaphat, which poured water on the hands of Elijah. 12 And Jehoshaphat said, The word of the Lord is with him. So the king of Israel and Jehoshaphat and the king of Edom went down to him" (KJV). The three kings in this passage knew who to call on when they needed a word from God. Elisha was able to deliver the word and the message that God told him to deliver came to pass. It was no coincidence, it was written. God called it and so it was.

POINT TO PONDER:
So why don't we use the Bible/The Word of God as our security blanket when we have to face the challenges of the world? Why do we seek comfort in other things that cannot compare to what God can do? I encourage you all to use the Word of God as a security blanket. I've found that through reading the Bible, that although times have changed the messages remain the same. It's true that history repeats itself and so it's true that nothing really that can happen today that has not already happened in the Bible. 

Having the Word of God wherever you go means that: 1) You acknowledge serving ONE God; 2) You know what the Bible says - You know scripture for yourself; 3) You can hear and/or deliver the Word of God. Even if you cannot do all three just yet, if you continue to seek Christ you will eventually be able to do them :) There is something comforting about being able to quote scriptures to problems, being able to believe the Word of God, being able to know when God is speaking to you, and being able to direct others to scriptures when they are facing problems. So turn away from the comfort that you find in worldly things and pick up the Bible and get to know Christ...


IT’S NEVER TOO LATE TO TRANSFORM YOUR TUESDAYS!!!
TRANSFORMING TUESDAY: JAMERA

No comments:

Post a Comment