Sunday, July 21, 2013

GUEST BLOGGER FOR THE MONTH OF JULY: Blessings In Disguise


Have you ever had something great in your life taken away from you? Did you seek answers from God as to why this was happening? Did you believe you were being punished for something you may have done wrong? These are all common thoughts among us. Usually, we are not being punished. God just may have something better in store for us.

I remember when I lost my job in October 2012 due to Hurricane Sandy. I had so many fears. I didn’t know how I would pay my bills, find a new job, etc. I was depressed for a couple months. I started sending out job applications but then became discouraged when I didn’t get many responses. There were many days when I just did not leave the house and stayed in bed. I was feeling sorry for myself but what good did that do? I couldn’t see it at the time but God was testing me. He gave me an opportunity to do something better with my life and find a job relating to the career I want to pursue. A friend of mine mentioned a job opening at a law firm. I sent in my resume and was offered a higher position than I interviewed for! WHAT A BLESSING! I am now a case manager at one of the top personal injury law firms in New Jersey! I was holding on to my previous job because it was comfortable and familiar which is why I failed to realize there was something much more rewarding for me.

I learned that sometimes bad things happen to good people for a REASON. The reason may not be the same for everyone but you must always stand strong with God. Today’s reading is from the book of Job. Job was an upright and righteous man who was blessed with abundance. Satan challenged the Lord and said that Job would curse Him if everything was taken away. So Job lost his children and his livestock. Satan challenged again, causing Job to also lose his health.

At first, Job did not blame God but that quickly changed. He began to curse the day he was born and ask for God to take his life! Why is that a solution? Why should anyone feel like they cannot handle what obstacles come their way? Satan will always put obstacles in your path to weaken you. The solution is FAITH. Trust in God that he will walk you through that path unharmed. Job thought God purposely led him into darkness. He felt like he was being wrongfully punished.  

Job 30:21 “But You have become cruel to me; With the strength of your hand You oppose me.”

Job didn’t realize that God was only testing his faith and loyalty to Him. Job was too concerned with what he lost and how people mocked him. God finally challenged Job and humbled him. Job repented, 42:5 “I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You. Therefore, I abhor myself. And repent in dust and ashes.”

He was blessed with even more than what he had! It’s important to TRUST while facing adversity. You may become angry or saddened but do not let that affect your judgment. I recently had my car taken away from me two days before my birthday. I could have become angry and blamed God for allowing that to happen. Of course I was upset, but I decided to pick myself up. I knew God wasn’t trying to hurt me. There was a reason behind it. I ended up buying a car that very same day! The tears of sadness became tears of joy. It was truly a blessing in disguise. God may have taken something away but replaced it with something even better.

I can admit that I lost faith a few times in God and I got angry. I didn’t think I deserved some of the events that occurred in my life. Now I know it made me the woman I am today and I am stronger because of it. You may get knocked down many times in life but God will always lift you back up. Trust Him and thank Him for his mercy. He will always work in your favor.

Psalm 27:5 For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock.
And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me; Therefore I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the Lord.


GUEST BLOGGER FOR THE MONTH OF JULY: TRICIA 



1 comment:

  1. Thank you Tricia for this reminder!! Gotta stay strong in God remember that He works in mysterious ways!!

    ReplyDelete