Monday, January 21, 2013

Merciful Monday: Money, Money, Money, Money! Money!


Have you ever wondered what the Bible says about money and how we should handle our finances? Then today’s reading is for YOU!

God’s rules on finances are stated in Luke 16:

  1. Use your worldly resources to benefits others because they will return the favor when you are in need (16: 9)
Don’t be like the rich man who let Lazarus lay at his gate begging for scraps. You have to give to others in order to receive.

  1. If you are faithful with little, you will be faithful with more, if you are dishonest with little, you will be dishonest with more (16:10)
God will not bless you with more if you can’t even show that you can handle the little you currently have!

  1. You cannot serve both God and money (16:13)
Pretty much, it’s impossible. Jesus compares it to being a slave and serving two masters. At some point, they will disagree and you will have to choose one side over the other.

The rules are all a part of GOD’S LAW and the Bible says that there will never be exceptions to these rules. “It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the smallest point of God’s Law to be overturned” (16:17). He shows this in the parable of the rich man. Even though the rich man begged to be taken out of hell and up to heaven, Abraham would not allow it because the rich man had not obeyed God’s law of using his resources to benefit those in need.

Jacob understood how God worked when it came to finances. As he traveled on his trip to find a wife in the land of Paddan-aram, he made a vow to God, that if God would bless him and bring him safely home, he would “present to God a tenth of everything he (God) gives me” (Genesis 28:22). This is what we know as PAYING TITHES. Jacob understood one of God’s simple principles—because God blesses us, we should bless him in return. 1. By serving him and 2. By giving a tithe to him.

In case you have questions like, well what is being done with my money? Who uses it and how? You have to remember that tithes are meant to be a sacrifice to GOD, not to a person such as a pastor or minister. It is hard to not question it, but when we give our tithes it should be as unto the Lord and whatever the pastor does with it should really be none of our business, because we have done our part by giving it to the house of God.

I have been faithful in giving my tithes for quite a while, and I can honestly say that God has continually blessed me in many areas of my life, especially financially. I actually have never been unemployed since I started working at 16 years old. Thank you, Jesus!

Today’s Challenge: During the years 1913-14, the following question was published in a number of religious journals in the U.S.A. and Canada: Have you ever known anyone who was less happy, less generous, or less financially prosperous from being a 'tither'? A total of more than 10,000 no replies were received, but there was not even one yes reply. Malachi 3:10 says, “Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test!” I dare you to test God by consistently giving 10% of your income. Watch and see how He will bless you!

Merciful Mondays: Jael

1 comment:

  1. i agree!! even though I'm waiting for my job now, I can say that when I do have money I give tithes to God and he blesses mestill even with the little that I give.=)

    ReplyDelete