Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Merciful Monday: “With God Nothing Shall Be Impossible”

“With God Nothing Shall Be Impossible”

That phrase sounds good, right? But it is often hard is it for us to completely believe that NOTHING is impossible, not matter how difficult, ridiculous, unlikely or implausible, NOTHING is impossible. Mary knew this.


When the angel Gabriel appeared to her to let her know that she was pregnant with the Son of God, she showed that she believed in the impossible. She asked how this could happen since she was a virgin, but then immediately resigned to the fact that it was possible and it would indeed happen. After her initial question, her next statement was one of affirmation. She said “I am the Lord’s servant. May everything you have said about me come true” (Luke 1:38). 

The amazing part to me was that she almost immediately believed that God would make the impossible possible.

Imagine someone calling you and saying, “Hey I am a representative for Bill Gates and Mr. Gates wants to give you $100,000 for Christmas if you agree right now to fly out to his home in Los Angeles.” How many of us would actually agree in that moment and immediately book a flight??? I’m going to guess, not many. You most likely would not have enough faith in the message giver or the alleged source to take any type of action to meet them. Most of all you would probably consider the source and whether they are who they say they are. You would speculate about the legitimacy of the caller and their connection to the person in power.

The same could be said of Mary’s situation. If I were her I would mostly have been thinking about whether the angel before me was real or if I was just seeing things, then I would wonder if this was some sort of test or joke. And even if I did get to the stage of acceptance I would be anxious in anticipation of how I would be received by others (friends and family), especially when I claimed to be a virgin. In spite of so many unknowns, Mary immediately said yes. She believed that God would do the impossible without hesitation, although she hadn’t even heard it from him directly. Her heart, mind, and soul said yes, and her body followed. She spoke of and acted on her “yes.” And because of this, she was blessed.

Until reading this, I never fully comprehended the extent to which Mary was required to have the utmost faith and determination and longsuffering to uphold that faith throughout. Next time you feel that God is leading you to do something, just say YES no matter how impossible it seems, because we have already been promised that with him NOTHING shall be impossible. Not now, and not ever. 

Merciful Mondays: Jael
For the Lord your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon you or destroy you or forget the solemn covenant he made with your ancestors.” Deuteronomy 4:31

No comments:

Post a Comment