Tuesday, July 2, 2013

TRANSFORMING TUESDAY: The Power of A Testimony - Your Friendly Reminder


Do you often doubt God's power in your life? No matter how long you've been in church, do you find it hard to trust God as your first instinct? Do you need constant reminders whenever you're at your lowest point? Well if the answer is yes, then I'm here to tell you that you are not alone. No matter how many times God has intervened in my life, I continue to need reminders of his faithfulness. I can become so consumed with the worries of the big things, that I overlook the simplest things that God is doing in my life. For example, I can have anxiety over a decision that I have in the morning that I can seriously forget to thank God for waking me up that morning. What good is having the guidance to make the decision if I'm not alive to enjoy it?

While reading today's scriptures in 1 Kings Chapter 2 served as a friendly reminder of God's faithfulness to us. This passage focuses on David putting Solomon in charge of the throne in preparation for his death. The reminder was simple; it's something that all of us who are striving to be like Christ should know and also understand. The scripture reads, "And keep the charge of the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself: That the Lord may continue his word which he spake concerning me, saying, If thy children take heed to their way, to walk before me in truth with all their heart and with all their soul, there shall not fail thee (said he) a man on the throne of Israel. In essence, as long as we keep God first, we will prosper no matter what.

Webster's defines the word prosper as, "to succeed in an enterprise or activity; especially : to achieve economic success."  Although this may be true, prosperity is not necessarily all about economic gain. As children of God we prosper in all that we do. We prosper spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. We become prosperous in the way that we think, in the way that we walk with Christ, in the way that we guide others to Christ - ultimately we prosper in our relationship with Christ. If we have God in our hearts and we remember not only his promises, but also what he has brought us through then we ARE prosperous.

One of the things that each of us have within us are our own personal testimonies. A testimony is an firsthand authentication of a fact: evidence. We all know what God has brought us through, so we are all witness to our own testimonies. Just as Jael mentioned in the marvelous merciful Monday blog picture, the desert is the same place where God called Jesus. Your testimonies become your driving force and serve as a constant reminder that if God did it once, then he can do it a million times more. A quick testimony....yesterday some of the youth in my church circled around an email about their personal testimonies. I read the first one and was like wow God is great. I didn't even think about writing my own testimony. Well not long after I received a text telling me to tell my testimony and my response was like I can't think of one. That's where I went wrong - in that one second it was like I took away all of my thank you's from God for everything that he had ever done for me. There is no reason that anyone of us cannot have a testimony, EVER. I'm breathing, I need for nothing, majority of my wants are met, I'm not starving, I'm loved, and through it all God lives in my heart. I needed a reminder of just some of the things that God had brought me through, and surely confirmation of what he is bringing me to. Well after I wrote my testimony while on the train home from my internship, I became overcome with joy. So many of the youth were pouring out their testimonies of how God had intervened in their lives. One of them actually brought me to tears. There are so many things that we take for granted, so many things that God does but we don't acknowledge, so many things that are so simple to us and grand to those without. 

Anything that you can think of that God has done for you is your testimony. Before you think about holding back your testimony, think about all of the people who might be missing out on hearing about the grace of God. Sometimes we might be someone's only connection to God, so it's important not to forget what he has done. Let the little things serve as our reminders of his promises, mercy, faithfulness, love, and deliverance. Just know that what you're going through right now will only add to the multitude of things God will bring you through and to. Keep on pressing...God isn't done with any of us just yet.

My Prayer:
Thank you Lord for your power to bring through adversity. Thank you for loving me when I don't love you. Thank you for guiding me when I stray from your path. Thank you for blessing me when I curse you. Thank you for having enough grace on my life to bring me through situations to serve as my testimony. Lord I pray that when I struggle to remember how omnipotent you are, that you will use the testimony of someone else to intervene and help me to remember. I pray that you cast out all doubt and that I learn to trust ALL of who you are with ALL of who I am. Thank you for your promises in my life. Even when I don't understand or see things as clearly as you, I am willing to starve my fear and place my life in your hands. Thank you for never leaving nor forsaking me. Most importantly, thank you for not being finished with me yet. I love you Lord. Amen.

Marvin Sapp - "My Testimony"

It's Never Too Late To Transform Your Tuesdays :)
Transforming Tuesdays: Jamera

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!!! Love that song!!! Such a powerful song. And the other thing is that sometimes our testimony is a way out for someone else's situations. Thank you Jamera!!

    ReplyDelete