We begin somewhere around 562-550 BC, Daniel is in his 80's.
1. King Darius signs a decree that anyone who "asked a petition of another God ... shall be cast into the den of lions." Daniel 6:7
2. Despite the decree and being fully aware of the punishment Daniel prays in his home with the windows open. Daniel did not try to hide his prayer even with the danger of the King's decree. This is an awesome testament of Daniel's faith. His openness to pray showed he cared more about God than the punishment of the King. This may have come from knowing God's power (remember Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego and the fiery furnace these were Daniel's friends so I am sure he reflected back to how God saved them)
* Let's reflect if the government passed a bill that anyone who prayed would be thrown into a snake pit or even less dramatic put into prison would you continue to pray? Would you pray in a place where people could see and hear you?
3. Not only did Daniel have faith but King Darius had faith in God as well. "then the king commanded, and they brought Daniel, and cast him into the den of lions. Now the king spake and said unto Daniel, Thy God whom thou servest continually, he will deliver thee." Daniel 6:16 The King who did not have a relationship with God believed that he would save Daniel.
4. Daniel life is spared. "So Daniel was taken out of the den, and no manner of hurt was found upon him, because he believed in his God." Daniel 6:23 Daniel was kept from harm because he believed in God.
Let's fast forward a few hundred years and view another situation.
5. The 12 disciples were in the midst of a great storm. The storm must have been intense because most of the disciples were fisherman who had spent most of their lives at sea. They had to have encountered multiple storms, but during this storm they were afraid.
6. Jesus was asleep on the ship with them. Despite his physical presence they asked him if he cared not that they perish in the storm. Why would God not care if the died? Of course he would! Looking back at the situation it seems clear that God would help them but during the situation the disciples were fearful.
7. Jesus is disappointed by their lack of faith and states "Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?"Mark 4:40
It is an interesting comparison between Daniel even King Darius and the 12 disciples. Daniel put his faith in a God he had never physically seen, but had experienced his miracles and because of his belief in God he was saved. King Darius did not have a relationship with God and believed he would save Daniel's life. The 12 disciples were actually with God in his physical presence and had witnessed multiple miracles yet they lacked faith.
We may not have physically seen God but we have the entire bible filled with accounts of his miracles and the knowledge that God still works miracles today. When a storm in your life arises ( it doesn't have to be a physical storm it could be a difficult situation) remember to believe in God and trust him like Daniel. After all this is how is life was spared!
Stay Blessed and Continue Warring for Christ!
Warrior Wednesday: Brittney