Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Transforming Tuesdays: Disciplined Disciple...Just Say YES!



Do you know how important discipline is? Do you have children? If you do, then you should know how important discipline is. Discipline means creating structure and guidelines so that individuals can achieve in life.  A recent study identified the characteristics of children who are not disciplined with those who are disciplined.  They are as follows:


TRAITS OF CHILDREN WHO HAVE NOT BEEN DISCIPLINED
TRAITS OF CHILDREN WHO HAVE BEEN DISCIPLINED
•   They will lack self-control.
•   They will not respect their parents or other authority figures.
•   They will not know what is appropriate behavior.
•   They will be willful, selfish, and generally unpleasant company.
•   They will not have social skills that are important for making friends such as empathy, patience, and knowing how to share.
•   They will be more likely to engage in negative behaviors that are harmful and even potentially dangerous for themselves as well as others.
•   They will be unhappy.

•   They have more self-control and are more self-sufficient.
•   They are more responsible and enjoy "being good" and helping others at home, at school and in the world at large.
•   They are more self-confident. They know their opinions and feelings will be heard, and that their parents love them even when they make mistakes.
•   They know that they are accountable for their mistakes or misbehavior, and are more likely to make good choices because they want to, not because they fear punishment.
•   They are pleasant to be around, and are more likely to have an easier time making friends.


By the looks of it, the character traits of disciplined children seem more pleasing then the other one.  Think about it…how annoying and uncomfortable is it to sit my a child in church who is not disciplined? It almost seems like you can point those children out and it almost makes you want to avoid them.  You figure that since their parents don’t discipline them, then it is no use for you not to. 

Did you know that just as we all like disciplined children, that God wants us to be disciplined for him.  This means being a disciple!!! Now that we know what a disciple is and what discipleship means (thanks to Jael’s Mericiful Mondays!) we can become the best we can for Christ! I’m sure you want to be the best for him since he’s ALWAYS the best for you.

Today reading in Matthew focuses on discipline and God wants us (Disciples) to go forth and spread his gospel.  When we become disciplined in Christ we can obey the orders of Christ.  That’s where we want to be…we want to be so disciplined to the point where everything he asks us to do, we can just say YES!!!  God tells us to do a few things in Matthew:

·      Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known. à What is done in the dark will come to light
·      What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops à Listen to my voice and obey my orders
·      And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. à Fear ONLY God because he can take your Body & Soul which is more than what Man can do to you.
What happens to disciples who are not disciplined and choose not to obey God’s orders?
·      Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. à If you choose not to acknowledge Christ in the world, he will surely deny you in Heaven.
·      Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. à The Lord is strong and mighty and does have the power of life, BUT ALSO DEATH.
·      He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. à You are to love no one more than God.  Everyone that you do love more than him was created by him and can be taken away by him.
·      And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. à If you choose not to take up your cross, then you are not worthy of his grace and mercy.
·      He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. à Seek God and you shall have everlasting life.
These are just a few things that God wants us to do.  Do you know how great it feels to just do what God wants you to do? It feels like a big weight is lifted off of your shoulders and 9 times out of 10 you avoid so many hardships that you didn’t have to face in the first place.  In Leviticus 10:1-2, “And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the Lord, which he commanded them not.  And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord.”  Nahab and Abihu disobeyed the orders of God and as a consequence they were devoured by fire and died.  Although this seems extreme, it is not far from what awaits us when we choose not to give out lives to Christ.
When God tells us things, he does so out of love because he is our father.  The Bible says that the hairs on our head are numbered, and let’s not forget that God knew us long before he created us.  If that is not love then I don’t know what love is.  I didn’t know the importance of discipline until I got older and realized how prevalent discipline is in my life now. 
I remember I was so worried about getting accepted into law school that I literally made myself sick.  All I did was cry with every rejection letter and thought it was going to be the end of the world if I didn’t get in.  (it’s actually funny now since I’m in law school lol). I became so desperate that I even considered changing careers (If you know me then you know I had to be tripping at this point lol). This was because I was refusing to listen to God and wanted quick results so I was willing to risk it all. Well my sister told me: “You have a plan, and God has another.  At the end of the day, his plan is the best plan.”  These words have stuck with me, because how true is that??? Every time I become frustrated with something or if something doesn’t happen the way I want it to happen, the first thing I do is think about that saying and then ask myself if I’m being obedient.  If I am being obedient to the voice of God then everything will work out the way it is supposed to work out: In my best interest with God at the forefront.

CHALLENGE: I challenge all of you to become disciplined disciples in that you obey the will of God.  It is so much easier doing what God wants you to do as opposed to doing what you want to do. The young adults in my church are doing a challenge this moth where they want us to pray specific prayers.  God knows what you need he just wants you to come to him.  The more specific the better because that means you’ve taken the time out to care about what you need and surrender it to God.  I’ve been doing this with a friend so far and I know only good things can come from it.  Also, get a prayer/praise journal to jot down your progress (I start mine today).  Lastly, remember that if you need people to pray on your behalf don’t hesitate to comment in our Prayer Request tab. 
Jael from Merciful Monday's sang this song Sunday at alter call and all I could do was weep and surrender myself to God.  I am a point where I no longer want to fight...I just want to submit and say YES!!!

Stay blessed, obedient, and a disciplined disciple.  And when God asks you to do something just say YES! 
It’s Never too late to Transform your Tuesdays!!!!
Transforming Tuesdays: Jamera




1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Def need to work on being a consistent disciple. And it is better when you do listen to God. Not only do you get relief but someone else gets relief because that is the word that they have been waiting on God for. Thank you Jamera!!!

    ReplyDelete