Friday, February 8, 2013

Friday Fellowship: Hear God's word and Follow


Psalms chapter 39 we observe anguish due to an unknown ending.
3 My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned: then spake I with my tongue,
4 Lord, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is: that I may know how frail I am.

The speaker in psalms was in a situation that appeared unfavorable or simply frustrating. He is desperately calling out to God for his situation.
12 Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were.
13 O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more.

During frustrating times of appeared unfavorable results we can become angry, sad, or apathetic; although it is in these situations that we must have faith. How can we have faith in situations that appear unfavorable? Bible says in Romans 10:17
"Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God."
Now we know how faith comes. You must hear or understand the word of God and that will bring upon faith. This is Hebrews 6 which addresses our question, how can we have faith in situations that appear unfavorable?

11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

These verses answer our question by saying BE A FOLLOWER OF THOSE THAT ACHIEVED THEIR PROMISES OR DESIRED OUTCOMES. They were fully assured in hope unto the end, patiently living by faith.
Our reading gives us an example of a man to FOLLOW, whose name was Joseph. He began with promises from God of honor and prestige to abrubtly becoming enslaved due to his brothers. Joseph despite becoming a prisoner lived in faith as our prior verses stated fully assured in hope unto the end. Although, enslaved and living as a prisoner it did not sway him from serving God as he continued to use his gift from God of interpreting dreams.
10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
This verse tells us God is faithful which explains why Joseph became second in command in the kingdom. This is because God elevated him there remembering him honoring his faithfulness. Joseph became rich, powerful and highly favored of men and more importantly God.
How can we have faith in situations that appear unfavorable?
Did you hear the word of God?
Hebrews 6 says to FOLLOW those who lived by faith and attained their promise. The story of Joseph is an example for us to follow. When situations seem unfavorable, we do as Joseph did. What did Joseph do?
He fully trusted God and was patient. He demonstrated these by continuing to operate in the gift God gave him. He remained faithful to God because he knew God would be faithful to not forget him in prison.Maybe, a reader is saying well that was A LONG TIME AGO. I understand sometimes the faith in the bible seems so distant from our own. Some might say he's a bible character that can't be duplicated.
Well, to those readers I encourage you to read Wednesday blog from Brittney.
She is a 2013 version or FOLLOWER of Joseph. She expressed at her job the situation appears extremely unfavorable towards her, yet she expresses her faith. With unknown results ahead she claims a testimony is coming, which implies great results in end. However, her faith is already demonstrated like Joseph by continuing to dedicate herself to this blog despite an appeared unfavorable situation.
"This will be my third visit to you. Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses."

Hear the word of God today. Be a FOLLOWER of Joseph through patience in faith believing God is in it, so you win. God is undefeated.
I dare you to find his loss.

Friday Fellowship: Christian

1 comment: